Secondary storage provider Cohesity raised over $90 million in a Series C funding led by GV and Sequoia Capital.
They were joined by other investors including Cisco Investments, Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE), Accel, Artis Ventures, Battery Ventures, DHVC, Foundation Capital, Qualcomm Ventures, Trinity Ventures, and Wing Venture Capital, bringing the company’s total funding to $160 million.
The funding will be used to expand its portfolio of secondary workloads as well as expand its sales and marketing team, said Patrick Rogers, head of marketing and product at Cohesity.
“We consider everything in the data center that’s not mission-critical to be secondary storage — backup data, archive data, images, unstructured content, data warehouses, and test and development data,” Rogers said. “So if you look at all of the data in the enterprise, 20 percent is mission-critical and the other 80 percent is spread across secondary use cases, and we’re focused on that 80 percent.”
The Cohesity data platform is a web-scale system that allows users to consolidate all of these secondary workloads on a single infrastructure and back that data up. The software can run in cloud infrastructures like Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform, or it can run on-premises, Rogers said.
The Cohesity data platform is important for customers because secondary data is typically stored in siloes and requires different technologies to reach that data. While customers consolidate their secondary data, they are also consolidating their infrastructure as well, allowing it to be used in more efficient ways.
“One of the big values is now that you have the data in one place, you can index and search it, whereas if you have it spread around you have to manually dig for it,” Rogers said.
Cohesity CEO and founder Mohit Aron also founded Nutanix, which focuses on hyperconverging primary workloads. He then left to start Cohesity, which applies a similar concept to secondary workloads, Rogers said.
Most of Cohesity’s customers are with enterprise accounts with companies like XO Communications, Ultimate Software, Munson Healthcare, Shutterstock, Cvent, and GS1.
The Santa Clara, California-based company was founded in 2013 and has 150 employees.