Use Case Challenge
The service provider market is getting more competitive with competition from multiple fronts,. At the same time, enterprises are looking to control their own destiny and looking to deploy their own branch and remote connectivity solutions. As a result, service providers are driven to differentiate their offerings, improve service agility and deploy platforms for upselling on-demand services. To do so, Service Providers have to innovate and upgrade the legacy business CPE (customer premises equipment) which are expensive to maintain, hard to manage and near impossible to remotely upgrade, to a new platform and architecture that is able to meet these new demands.
Use Case Solution
Brocade’s on-premises Virtual CPE (vCPE) solution involves replacing legacy CPEs with new commodity off-the-shelf platforms that provide a virtual infrastructure on which to host VNFs (virtual network functions). This solution can be blended into hybrid deployments with some network functions running in CO (central office) or POP (point-of-presence) locations, or utilized in its pure form in situations where existing POP/COs do not have the ability to accommodate servers due to space, power or cooling issues.
To deliver this solution, Brocade ecosystem partners provide new flexible COTS-based (commercial off-the-shelf) platforms that replace legacy CPEs along with management and orchestration (MANO) systems that help provision, monitor and manage the vCPE platform as well as the VNFs that constitute the solution.
Brocade’s products play a key role in this solution, with the Brocade vRouter acting as the core VNF, supplying routing, VPN and firewall in one package. The vRouter also provides high efficiency in packet handling, allowing for smaller footprint deployment thus lowering CPU and memory requirements, and therefore the cost needed on the CPE COTS platform.The vCPE solution simplifies branch device management and provides for longer costs as well as less troubleshooting overhead, and more flexibility in terms of add-on solutions.
- Mature vRouter from Brocade used as an integrated secure router providing proven routing, VPN and firewalling as a CE gateway – providing for integrated multi-service VNF that reduces need to service-chain
- Ideal for reduced cost COTS vCPE platform
- Easily complements other VNFs like IDS, Spam, Malware Gateway, Session Border Controllers
- Programmable APIs and open API controller-based architecture allow for easy integration into MANO frameworks
- Brocade ecosystem partners provide complementary software and hardware that wraps around the core vRouter VNF to create a turnkey on-premises vCPE solution for service providers
Brocade Solution Suite
- Mature vRouter support multiple popular protocols for maximum compatibility
- High-efficiency design allows for good performance even on lower-cost COTS vCPE platform
- Reliable and proven firewall that provides familiar filtering rules
- In-kernel design provides for high efficiency leading to improved density
- Provides sufficient functionality for most non-specialized firewalling needs
VPN and Tunneling
- Flexible and rich set of VPN protocols supported
- Proven inter-operability with wide range of other peering points, supporting IPsec, PPTP and OpenVPN provides maximum deployment flexibility and allows vCPE to be a termination point for enterprise wide-area VPN