- Service Provider
Use Case Challenge
Both service providers and enterprises are building out private and public cloud infrastructures to support new applications and cloud services. For these infrastructure, ensuring that the network is used efficiently is critical to keeping applications running optimally in these clouds. However, data center architects and network operations face key challenges in addressing network performance. Some specific issues which are critical in the data center but also relevant to enterprise campus networks include real-time bandwidth availability, capacity planning, understanding which resources are available in the network, and which applications are consuming the most bandwidth. Furthermore, if there is congestion in the network, network operators need reroute traffic automatically around this congestion.
Use Case Solution
Brocade’s Flow Optimizer solution takes a controller-based SDN approach to solving the visibility and real-time control issue within data centers and campus networks. By combining the Brocade Controller with its MLX series routers and/or its ICX campus LAN switches, Brocade has built a solution that can react in real-time to incoming network analytics gathered via sFlow, and take appropriate action that can improve network performance.
Through the use of SDN, Brocade gives customers flexibility and provides vendor-independent control over the entire network from a single logical point, which greatly simplifies network design and operation. The SDN approach allows the users to take advantage of all the benefits of SDN from reduced cost, simpler operations and increased service velocity resulting in new monetization opportunities. Using SDN and the Brocade Flow Optimizer application, customers can increase end user experience by making the network more efficient and agile.
The Brocade Solution consists of the MLX or ICX platform, and the Controller, and the Flow Optimizer app.
- Brocade Network Devices; i.e, MLX series routers and ICX campus LAN switches send sflows to the server where the Brocade Flow Optimizer application resides
- The sFlows are received by the sFlow collector
- The Brocade Flow Optimizer analyzes the sFlows and based on the policies that have been set, decides on the appropriate action: Rate Limit, Discard, Remark and/or Redirect traffic flows.
- The Open Daylight-based Brocade Vyatta Controller programs OpenFlow version 1.3 rules in the network devices to enact the action the Flow Optimizer application has decided on.
- Proactive visibility and discovery of any network issues prior to occurrence enabling better network resource and capacity planning
- Proactive traffic engineering to eliminate network congestion to avoid service interruption/failure
- Can be used to prevent L2-L4 Denial of Service Attacks whereby customer flows are managed based on a set of policies, and malicious traffic flows that may cause network flooding or even shut down the network can be identified and discarded to prevent network performance degradation
- Open SDN approach that is conducive to extensibility by customers
Brocade Solution Suite
- Mature high-performance router works as a robust gateway router in the data center
- Proven support for multiple popular routing protocols for maximum compatibility
- SDN-enabled programmatic support that enables added functionality like Flow Optimization
- Reliable and proven managed campus switch
- Flexible stacking architecture with L3 routing capabilities
- Detailed sFlow monitoring provides key traffic information to Flow Optimizer applications
Brocade SDN Controller
- Built on an Open Daylight base – fully tested commercial edition
- Robust, carrier-class architecture
- Proven inter-operability with wide range of network devices
- Intelligent policy-based management for large flows
- Flexible and rich set of control commands
- sFlow integration provides standardized form of gathering data and flexibility in choice of network equipment
- Flexible flow handling including QoS remarking, redirecting, metering or discarding flows