Click the image to view the video
Use Case Challenge
IT organizations are under multiple financial and service-level pressures that are driving the use of virtualization, cloud and new distributed application architectures. While IT infrastructures and applications are transitioning, many services, including Application Delivery Controller-based services, continue to be delivered primarily on hardware. This services approach is a problem since hardware is:
- Costly due to factors such as over provisioning
- Slow to deploy compared to software
- Not portable or elastic
- Unable to deliver an easy migration path as applications evolve to support new DC, cloud and application architectures
Use Case Solution
Fully functional software-based services, such as those available with the Brocade vADC portfolio, are the starting point for this solution since they help address the time-to-service and portability challenges.
Next we add a services controller to the solution, which offers a central point for control and management plane functions such as deployment, provisioning, licensing and metering. This centralization simplifies the overall solution, allows it to scale easily, and helps reduce OPEX costs.
In addition, we need to change the economics of ADC deployments by incorporating a pool licensing model which allows ADC resources to be consumed in a virtual and cloud friendly manner and reduce the need to over-provision that occurs when you license by instance as most hardware and virtual ADC offerings support today.
Finally, you should expect an ADC that can support your existing application and, as you move them to a cloud deployment or re-architect them as distributed application, have a services infrastructure which delivers a consistent on-prem and cloud experience, thus keeping costs down and helping ensure compliance.
The Brocade vADC portfolio is a pure software suite of products that enable application services to be deployed in alignment with the current cloud and virtualization approaches that are transforming data centers.
The Brocade vADC portfolio delivers:
- A fully functional virtual ADC that supports portable and consistent services across multiple deployment options
- A unique controller based services architecture to help rapidly deploy, monitor, meter and license ADC instances
- Faster time to service that that only software can deliver
- High scale with isolation by supporting Linux containers and delivering up to 256 ADC instances per bare metal host
- Multiple integration points for ease of orchestration into enterprise DevOps tools or enterprise cloud orchestration systems
- A licensing model that changes ADC economics by licensing by pool vs. instance
Brocade Solution Suite
- Mature software-based ADC that supports traditional and advanced application delivery capabilities
- Flexible licensing options that include perpetual, subscription and usage-based licensing via public cloud providers such as AWS
- Easily interfaces with 3rd party tools via a RESTful API
- Flexible deployment options including pure software, virtual appliance for popular hypervisors and native cloud binaries for AWS (AMI) and Azure (VHD)
vWeb Application Firewall
- Scalable web application firewall designed to support the largest global applications against Layer 7 attacks.
- With a component-based architecture and modular construction, it’s easily deployable in both public cloud and enterprise data center environments
- Helps customers with PCI-DSS and HIPAA compliance
- Controller that deploys application delivery controller services quickly
- High density and multi-tenancy for large, efficient deployments with isolation
- Flexible on-demand licensing changes the economics of ADC acquisition
- Easy integration into any network, including SDN architectures