Click the image to view the video
Use Case Challenge
The service provider market is getting more competitive with competition from multiple fronts, including from OTT (over-the-top) providers. At the same time, enterprises are looking to control their own destiny and looking to deploy their own branch and remote connectivity solutions. As a result, service providers are driven to differentiate their offerings, improve service agility and deploy platforms for upselling on-demand services. To do so, Service Providers have to innovate and upgrade the legacy business CPE (customer premises equipment) which are expensive to maintain, hard to manage and near impossible to remotely upgrade, to a new platform and architecture that is able to meet these new demands.
Use Case Solution
Brocade’s Virtual Customer Edge (vCE) solution involves replacing legacy CPEs with NIDs (network interface devices) for simpler troubleshooting at branches, and moving the typical functions that CPEs provide into VNFs (virtual network functions) hosted on infrastructure at the POP (point-of-presence) or CO (central office). This is an alternative to running virtualized CPEs on-premises and may be an option if the POP/CO has the ability to host servers and accommodate power and cooling needs.
To deliver this solution, Brocade ecosystem partners provide NIDs that replace existing CPEs and the virtualized infrastructure management at the POP/CO location, along with management and orchestration (MANO) systems that help provision, monitor and manage the VNFs that constitute the virtual CE solution.
The virtual CE solution simplifies branch device management and provides for a longer life-span on the equipment on-premises with less troubleshooting overhead, and more flexibility in terms of add-on solutions.
Brocade’s products play a key role in this solution, with the Brocade vRouter acting as the core VNF, supplying routing, VPN and firewall in one package. The vRouter also provides high efficiency in packet handling, allowing for smaller footprint deployment with higher-densities of vCE instances per server.
- Mature vRouter from Brocade used as an integrated secure router providing proven routing, VPN and firewalling as a CE gateway – providing for integrated multi-service VNF that reduces need to service-chain
- Ideal for high-density CO/POP environment with limited power/cooling
- Easily complements other VNFs like IDS, Spam, Malware Gateway, Session Border Controllers
- Programmable APIs and open API controller-based architecture allow for easy integration into MANO frameworks
- Brocade ecosystem partners provide complementary software and hardware that wraps around the core vRouter VNF to create a turnkey vCE solution for service providers
Brocade Solution Suite
- Mature vRouter support multiple popular protocols for maximum compatibility
- High-performance design allows for high-density deployment with multiple vRouter instances on server hardware in CO/POP
- Reliable and proven firewall that provides familiar filtering rules
- In-kernel design provides for high efficiency leading to improved density
- Provides sufficient functionality for most non-specialized firewalling needs
VPN and Tunneling
- Flexible and rich set of VPN protocols supported
- Proven inter-operability with wide range of other peering points, supporting IPsec, PPTP and OpenVPN provides maximum deployment flexibility and allows vCE to be a termination point for enterprise wide-area VPN