BWoD is the ability for end users to turn up BW on their network links as and when needed (e.g. for large backups or dataset movement), and bring it back down when no longer needed.
What customer segments need BWoD?
What are customers and network operators interested in BWoD?
- Develop new sources of revenue
- Increase utilization of current network
What business problems are solved by BWoD?
- Enable new applications that have data ‘bursting’ (enterprise, XaaS)
- Offer new on-demand services (telco)
- Enable new business continuity apps
What is the business value of BWoD?
- Increased sales opportunities via selling access capacity
- Improved operating income via reduced CapEx and / or OpEx and more flexible business continuity
How can SDN & NFV provide a solution to BWoD?
SDN is used to moderate the amount of BW allowed on network links (across multiple WAN links) as well as control the QoS. SDN can also be used to instantiate instant connectivity between locations that were previously not connected.
Related BWoD ETSI NFV POCs:
- POC 9: VNF Router Performance with DDoS Functionality
- POC 18: VNF Router Performance with Hierarchical Quality of Service Functionality