Citrix NetScaler SD-WAN began its life as a simple product providing WAN optimization and Quality of Service (QoS), but it has evolved into a powerful virtual or physical appliance that can increase WAN reliability, improve application performance, and reduce recurring bandwidth costs. Citrix NetScaler SD-WAN is today a scalable, enterprise-grade Software-Defined Wide Area Networking (SD-WAN) product combining WAN virtualization, WAN optimization, edge routing, firewall capabilities, VPN, centralized control, and end-to-end application visibility.
Previously named CloudBridge, Citrix NetScaler SD-WAN offers single-pane-of-glass management. According to Citrix, enterprises no longer need to struggle with how to manage multiple devices or components at branch locations for WAN virtualization, optimization, performance management, or security.
Citrix NetScaler SD-WAN Features
NetScaler SD-WAN provides optimization for Citrix technologies such as XenApp and XenDesktop, as well as other enterprise application protocols. Citrix’s customers enjoy the following benefits of NetScaler SD-WAN:
- NetScaler SD-WAN provides unified visibility into more than 4,000 applications at each network segment and branch. At corporate branch locations, NetScaler SD-WAN feeds information to NetScaler Management and Analytics System (MAS), providing deep visibility into users and applications across the WAN and into the branch.
- For remote sites that have high latency, congestion, or that use large file transfers, the user experience can be significantly improved with compression, de-duplication, and other acceleration techniques. NetScaler SD-WAN provides WAN optimization not only for XenApp and XenDesktop but for all other enterprise applications.
- End-to-end QoS. Today, enterprises consume applications from multiple clouds, myriad SaaS providers, and their own data centers. NetScaler SD-WAN manages QoS and prioritization at the branch and the data center.
- NetScaler SD-WAN’s intelligent, application-aware firewall allows for direct Internet access and connectivity to cloud and SaaS.
- NetScaler SD-WAN logically binds multiple MPLS, broadband, and wireless network links into a single virtual WAN, then continuously measures and monitors each link for loss, latency, jitter, and congestion.
- NetScaler SD-WAN accelerates traditional enterprise applications. In addition, branch-office users experience faster printing, file downloads, video streaming, and application start-up times.
- Bandwidth Optimization. NetScaler SD-WAN reduces bandwidth consumption and optimizes the use of existing capacity. NetScaler SD-WAN also reduces traffic by up to 95 percent for bandwidth-hungry applications.
- Branch simplification. NetScaler SD-WAN offers an opportunity to simplify the branch network and consolidate multiple network functions into a single physical or virtual appliances.
Citrix NetScaler SD-WAN as Software/Appliance
Citrix NetScaler SD-WAN is available in software and virtual/hardware appliance versions. Enterprises are using NetScaler SD-WAN to introduce Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) into their WAN, rendering it more scalable, cost-effective, and ready to connect to the cloud, while ensuring strong application performance. NetScaler SD-WAN can also help businesses effectively and economically simplify their branch networks with integrated routing, firewall, and WAN optimization capabilities.