|Attributes||Questions to Ask Vendors|
|Features||· Can it manage resources across public clouds?
· Are template capabilities supported?
· Are cross hypervisor templates available? (taking into account difference be
· Future support for containers?
· What self-service capabilities are customizable?
· Does the solution provide a built-in service catalog?
|Compatibility||· What hypervisors does it work with?
· What physical storage solutions does it work with?
· Can the product manage bare-metal resources as well?
· Is it based on OpenStack?
· What compute, networking and storage hardware are supported?
· What level of network virtualization is supported?
· Does it support integration with other systems via RESTful API?
|Scaling||· How does the solution scale??
· Is automatic scaling supported?
· How has the performance been tested/validated?
|Reliability||· Is high availability supported?
· What happens in the event connectivity goes down?
· Can updates be applied without downtime?
|Management||· What specialized capabilities are available for compute resource management?
· What specialized capabilities are available for network resource management?
· What specialized capabilities are available for storage resource management?
· What can be accomplished from the user interface?
· How easy is the solution to customize? What kinds of capabilities can be customized?
· What is entailed in deploying the solution?
· How are updates applied?
|Visibility||· What kind of reporting does the solution support?
· Does the system provide built-in metering? (for chargebacks and accounting)
· What kind of abstraction is available? (between hypervisors and across the cloud resources)
|Security||· How is traffic secured?
· Are role-based controls supported?
· Can it integrate with enterprise directories for consistency? (which ones?)
· What auditing capabilities are available?
Cloud Orchestration Tools & Solutions
Cloud orchestration tools simplify the management of multiple clouds and locations, which can span private and public cloud platforms. These solutions will interact with CMPs to orchestrate workload placement, as well as handle migrations and cross-cloud provisioning. These solutions may also coordinate the software and required networking hardware to support the delivery of applications and services across multiple clouds.