NFVI data center hardware usually refers to commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) networking and computing devices though there’s nothing preventing proprietary integrated hardware for qualifying as NFVI. COTS hardware is widely available, viewed as commodity and is supposed to help drive down the cost of data centers. NFVI data center hardware platforms are often based on ‘bare metal’ networking and computing platforms. And in some deployments, CSPs treat the scope of NFVI to data center top-of-rack (TOR) switches that can provide HW assist to accelerate networking functions.
NFVI data center hardware can also include other key hardware elements such as the network interface cards (NICS). Modern versions of these NICs often contain CPU, NPU (network processing unit) and specialized ASICs or FPGAs that help provide hardware acceleration from I/O intensive NFV workloads.
NFVI data center hardware enables the modern data center with hardware and software solutions.
- *Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE): HPE NFV Blueprints
- *Lenovo: Lenovo NFV Solutions (Intel Select Solution for NFVI, Ref. Arch. for NFVI)
- *Nokia: Nokia Airframe Data Center Solution
- Cavium, Inc.: ThunderX ARMv8 Processors
- Dell EMC | Service Provider Solutions: Dell EMC NFV Ready Bundle for VMware
- Intel: Intel Select Fast Track Kit for NFVI
- Mellanox Technologies: BlueField SmartNIC
- Netronome: Netronome Agilio CX 10, 25 and 40GbE SmartNICs