Software-defined wide area network (SD-WAN) products take software-defined networking (SDN) technology and applies it to deliver virtual WAN connections that can be controlled from the cloud. These WAN services can be delivered to a users using open access devices which might include commodity hardware equipped with vCPE software or lightweight NIDs.
SD-WAN products are targeted at both enterprise branch offices and data centers as well as service provider users who are looking to use SD-WAN technology to deliver new services. An SD-WAN might be used, for example, to connect branch offices to a central corporate network, or to connect data centers separated by distance. In the past, these WAN connections often used technology that required special proprietary hardware.
The main goal of SD-WAN technology is to deliver a business-class, secure, and simple cloud-enabled WAN connection with as much open and software-based technology as possible. This can be used to deliver basic WAN connectivity, or it can be used for premium business services such as virtual private networks (VPN), WAN optimization, and applications delivery control (ADC). SD-WAN also be used to deliver many of these services from the cloud, eliminating or reduce expensive routing hardware by provisioning connectivity and services via the cloud.
Our product and company research indicates that there are dozens of incumbent vendors and startups going after the potential in the SD-WAN market, which is billions of dollars. Many of these startups have slightly different approaches to the market. Our product summaries below can be used to take a look at the differentiation in the offerings.
The number of solutions for SD-WAN has been expanding rapidly has service providers have indicate that this market is a priority for developing new services. the SDxCentral research teams expect the demand for SD-WAN solutions and services to accelerate over the next few years.
- *FatPipe Networks: MPVPN
- *InfoVista: Application Aware SD-WAN & Network Monitoring
- *Nuage Networks: Virtualized Network Service (VNS)
- *Teldat: Teldat SD-WAN
- *Versa Networks: Versa FlexVNF
- *Viptela, Inc: Viptela Secure Extensible Network
- Advantech: FWA-3260 White box Appliance for vE-CPE
- Anuta Networks, Inc.: Anuta Network NCX
- Aryaka Networks: WAN Optimization as-a-Service
- Bigleaf Networks: Cloud-first SD-WAN Service
- Cisco Systems: Cisco Virtual Managed Services
- Citrix Systems: Citrix NetScaler SD-WAN
- CloudGenix: CloudGenix ION
- Cradlepoint: Enterprise Cloud Manager with NetCloud
- Fujitsu: Virtuora Network Controller
- Glue Networks: Gluware Software Defined Network Orchestration Platform
- Masergy: Managed SD-WAN
- OpenDaylight Project: OpenDaylight Project
- Qosmos: Qosmos Layer 7 Service Classifier
- Riverbed Technologies: SteelConnect
- Silver Peak Systems: Unity EdgeConnect
- Talari: Talari Aware
- VeloCloud Networks: Cloud-Delivered SD-WAN Service