Cloud management platforms (CMPs) as well as cloud orchestration tools provide enterprises and service providers a way to manage the lifecycle of the cloud’s resources. A CMP could be thought of as the cloud’s operating system, giving organizations a way to control the pools of compute, storage and network resources in their cloud data center.
Whether it’s a large public cloud company hosting its own services or a private cloud service, cloud management platforms are needed to coordinate the many resources and tenants of the clouds. These platforms keep track of virtual tenants and allocate resources such as storage, compute, and networking. The most popular cloud management platforms are VMware’s many platforms vRealize/vCloud/vCenter and the leading open source platform, OpenStack. Cloud management is becoming increasingly integrated with network virtualization (NV) and software-defined networking technology (SDN).
In addition to CMPs orchestrate workload placement, as well as handle migrations and cross-cloud provisioning. These solutions may also coordinate the software and required networking hardware to support the delivery of applications and services across multiple clouds.
- *CA Technologies: CA Virtual Network Assurance
- Accelerite: Accelerite CloudPlatform
- Amazon Web Services: Amazon Web Services
- CFEngine: CFEngine
- Cisco Systems: Cisco ONE Enterprise Cloud Suite
- Embotics: vCommander
- Ericsson: Apcera Platform
- Microsoft Corporation: Microsoft Azure
- OpenStack Foundation: OpenStack Cloud Software
- Oracle: Oracle Cloud Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- PLUMgrid: OpenStack Networking Suite
- Platform9: Platform9 OpenStack Private Cloud
- RightScale: RightScale Platform
- Sardina Systems: FishOS
- VMware, Inc.: VMware vCloud Suite
- ZeroStack, Inc.: ZeroStack Cloud Platform
Additional Cloud Management Products Resources