Cisco Cloud Services Router 1000V
The Cisco® Cloud Services Router 1000v (CSR 1000v) is a virtual-form-factor router that delivers comprehensive WAN gateway and network services functions into virtual and cloud environments. Using familiar, industry-leading Cisco IOS® XE Software networking capabilities, the CSR 1000v enables enterprises to transparently extend their WANs into provider-hosted clouds. Similarly, cloud providers themselves can use it to offer enterprise-class networking services to their tenants or customers.
To save costs and become more agile, businesses small and large are increasingly virtualizing their data center infrastructures and applications. Many enterprises have started deploying IT applications in virtualized data centers that are built and managed by third-party service providers. These external data centers, known as provider-hosted clouds, allow enterprises to gain infrastructure and resources on demand and become even more operationally efficient.
However, the shared-infrastructure shared-resource cloud environment poses networking and security problems for enterprises:
● An enterprise does not own its cloud connectivity, so it cannot extend its network configuration into the cloud.
● It does not enjoy the same levels of privacy and security for its cloud deployment as it does for its premises.
● It cannot directly connect its distributed sites to its cloud applications, having to instead backhaul all network traffic through its data center because it lacks a network-aware endpoint in the cloud.
The cloud also presents networking challenges for cloud providers:
● The primary concern is the limitations of scaling the current network switching architecture.
● The cloud provider also lacks all the components of an end-to-end managed connectivity service offering to its customers, including quality of service (QoS), application visibility, and service-level agreements (SLAs).
The Cisco CSR 1000v addresses these cloud-based networking and security constraints.
In addition to bringing enterprise-class networking services and security to public cloud environments, the Cisco CSR 1000v can be used as a building block for scalable network service offerings. The included network-function-virtualization (NFV) components allow the CSR 1000v to fill roles traditionally reserved for hardware-based devices, including route reflection and broadband gateways. Virtualizing these complex functions allows service providers to consolidate numerous instances onto a single server, and to easily scale as new customers come on board or networks are expanded.
Built on the same proven Cisco IOS XE Software platform that powers the Cisco Integrated Services Router (ISR) and Aggregation Services Router (ASR) product families, it offers a rich set of features, including routing, VPN, firewall, Network Address Translation (NAT), QoS, application visibility, failover, and WAN optimization. Additional NFV uses such as virtual route reflector (vRR), virtual broadband network gateway (vBNG), and virtual intelligent services gateway (vISG) are also supported by the CSR 1000v platform. This broad suite of functions empowers enterprises and cloud providers to build highly secure, optimized, scalable, and consistent hybrid networks.
|Packaging||Virtual Appliance/VM Image|