VeloCloud tackles Software-Defined Wide Area Networking (SD-WAN) with the intention of simplifying the way enterprises configure their branches within the WAN, and to improve the performance and cost-effectiveness of the WAN. The VeloCloud SD-WAN solution was built as a “transport-independent” product that is easy to implement and that permits the use of any type of physical transport connection, from MPLS to cable to cellular LTE.
“SD-WAN is a transformational approach to simplify branch office networking and assure optimal application performance,” said Michael Wood, vice president of marketing at VeloCloud. “Unlike traditional WANs, SD-WAN delivers increased network agility and cost reduction. SD-WAN has its roots in Software Defined Networking (SDN), the underlying principle of which is to abstract the network hardware and transport characteristics from the applications that use the network.”
Cloud-native and built on those SDN principles, the VeloCloud SD-WAN solution offers cloud-based service delivery, orchestration, and analytics to create a flexible architecture that addresses the demands of today’s enterprises. VeloCloud claims to be the only vendor to offer a fully cloud-delivered architecture to address the expansion of applications and compute to the cloud.
Cloud-Delivered VeloCloud SD-WAN
VeloCloud SD-WAN is delivered as a service in the cloud with a separate orchestration plane, control plane, and data plane. It includes the following components:
- Secure network overlay. VeloCloud SD-WAN’s separate control plane and data plane layers improve network service agility by moving intelligence from the data plane into the programmable control plane.
- Scalable, secure cloud network. To form a secure cloud network, VeloCloud SD-WAN’s standards-based encryption (e.g., AES) provides secure connectivity over any type of transport. VeloCloud SD-WAN devices are authenticated to the management plane, assigned business policies, then granted access to the cloud network.
- Virtual service delivery. Services are deployed from a catalog of applications. Based on the type of service, the services are delivered at the branch, in the private data center, or in the cloud.
- Orchestration and analytics. This layer provides the control plane for forwarding traffic to and from on-premises and cloud nodes, across the multiple underlying transports and with the policy‐driven insertion of distributed network services. No IT administrator-dependent branch office installation is required.
Translated to VeloCloud solutions, VeloCloud SD-WAN includes the following products:
- VeloCloud Edge. A compact, easy-to-install device that provides secure optimized connectivity to applications and data.
- VeloCloud Gateways. Deployed at cloud data centers around the world, these gateways provide scalability, redundancy, and flexibility; optimize data paths to all applications, branches, and data centers; and deliver network services from the cloud.
- VeloCloud Orchestrator. Delivers network-wide business policy creation, distribution, and enforcement based on applications, traffic, and network conditions.
Uniquely, VeloCloud uses two business models to offers its SD-WAN service. First, VeloCloud SD-WAN is available as a monthly per-branch subscription model. Second, large enterprises and service providers can obtain the VeloCloud SD-WAN technology and run the product as their own service.
VeloCloud SD-WAN and AT&T
VeloCloud was named a 2016 “Cool Vendor” in enterprise networking by Gartner, and IDC named VeloCloud as an IDC Innovator in mid-2017. In October 2016, AT&T announced its collaboration with VeloCloud to produce an AT&T-branded SD-WAN product. VeloCloud SD-WAN remains an essential component of the AT&T Integrated Cloud ecosystem focused on SD-WAN.