CloudGenix prides itself on the fact that its CloudGenix Instant-On Network (ION) Software-Defined Wide Area Network (SD-WAN) solution is defined by software instead of hardware. The company’s foundation is an understanding that legacy hardware is a thing of the past. CloudGenix ION replaces the fragmentation of current networking, instead building a centralized control plane and coupling that intelligence with its policy-based language.
The CloudGenix SD-WAN is software-based and tries to eliminate the complexity of packet routing. The application fabric is powered by an understanding of applications, application performance, application policy, and machine-learning capabilities.
- Central control. The CloudGenix Central Controller software can run in the cloud as a virtual machine (VM) in the local network or on a CloudGenix X86 box in the data center. It is the central point of control, management, policy setting, analytics, and reporting for the SD-WAN fabric.
- Traffic forwarding. CloudGenix ION Elements are flow forwarders, analogous to WAN routers, that handle traffic forwarding at multi-gigabit line rates. Customers can buy CloudGenix ION appliances or use their own hardware and install it as a VM at branches, headquarters, co-locations, and public cloud (IaaS) locations.
- Secure application fabric. CloudGenix ION Fabric is the overlay mesh of ION Elements. The ION Fabric contains one or more virtual networks that abstract the physical hybrid WAN they ride on top of. By default, all traffic flowing across the fabric (i.e., between ION Elements) is encrypted with AES-256 IPsec for software-defined security.
- Application fingerprinting. CloudGenix takes a unique approach to application fingerprinting, using sessions flowing between endpoints to identify applications rather than using signatures or deep packet inspection (DPI), which is difficult to rely on because of the increasing number of encrypted application payloads in modern networks.
- Sophisticated path selection. In the CloudGenix forwarding approach, there are no routing protocols. Rather, a complex decision-making process takes into consideration real-world throughput, link capability, and application performance requirements.
- CloudGenix’s policy manager is designed for simplicity. Rather than operators having to know nuanced network details to write a policy, CloudGenix expresses complex network goals in a simplified, business-oriented way. Humans can read and understand a completed policy.
- Traffic analytics. The CloudGenix traffic analytics system shows specific application flow information and provides performance and compliance reports that are immediately useful to a business.
In June, IDC recognized CloudGenix as an SD-WAN IDC Innovator. See the “IDC Innovators: SD-WAN, 2017” PDF report here.
CloudGenix SD-WAN Future
GloudGenix continues to invest in data science and machine learning. The company is increasingly able to apply machine learning techniques to tell customers what the real-time capacity of their networks are. On the horizon, CloudGenix is focusing on automating, troubleshooting, and creating self-healing models for the network.