The University of Piraeus was founded in 1938 under the title of the “School for Industrial Studies”, by the Industrialists and Tradesmen Association.
In 1945 it was renamed to “Higher School for Industrial Studies” and its aim was defined to be the systematic, theoretical and practical training of managerial executives.
In 1958, the “Higher School for Industrial Studies» was again renamed to “Graduate School of Industrial Studies”, with its headquarters in Piraeus. Starting from 1966, the University operated in the form of a public legal entity.
In 1989, the “Graduate School of Industrial Studies” was renamed to
University of Piraeus. Today, the following seven Depart-ments are run by the University of Piraeus:
Statistics and Insurance Science
Financial Management and Banking
Technology Teachers Education (starting in 1999 – 2000)
These Departments award degrees and doctorates in the corresponding scientific fields.
The University has additionally proposed to the Ministry of National Education and Religious Affair the establishment of the following Departments:
European Legal Studies
Education (Primary Education)
Education (Infant School) and
As from September 1995, the following postgraduate curriculums are run by the Department of Business Organization and Administration:
Masters’ in Business Administration and
European Masters’ Program in Total Quality Management (TQM).
Will be starting in September 1999. Master (MSc) program in Tourism Management.
Starting in September 1997 the Department of Banking and Financial Management offers a Masters program in Banking and Financial Management.
Starting in September 1998 the Department of Industrial Management. Masters program in Industrial Management.
Specialization: a) Logistics 2) Energy Management and Environmental Protection Systems 3) Master (MSc) in Health Informatics and Management Care Services.
Starting in September 1998 the Department of Informatics Master (MSc) in Health Informatics and Management Care Services.