The i2CAT Foundation is a center of research and innovation, which focuses its activities on the development of the future Internet, which aims to meet the following objectives:
- To promote and foster technological development in Catalonia. This development should be experimental and investigative in spirit.
- To promote advanced research into networks and broadband applications and to foster the use of these in Catalan society.
- To develop Internet technologies in Catalonia, particularly in terms of applications, services and advanced research in network technologies.
- To set up platforms for collaboration between the private sector and university research bodies.
- To promote collaboration with organisations and institutions that have similar aims.
- To set up collaboration networks with other, similar national and international research projects.
- To participate in European research projects.
The key of the model i2CAT consists in the collaboration among the Administration, the entrepreneurial sector, the academic world and the final users generating an open innovation environment, characteristic of the Internet culture.
In that sense, i2CAT is a founding member of the European Network of Living Labs, www.openlivinglabs.eu, the organization promoting such open innovation model in Europe and worldwide.