Virtualized networks, cloud computing and the data center will play a vital role in making the Internet of Things a success. The vision for IoT is that millions (and potentially billions) of devices will be connected to each other and the Internet allowing people to communicate with machines, and machines to communicate with other machines. But that vision is currently hindered by a complicated ecosystem and fragmented platforms.
The data from all those devices will be critical to existing data center infrastructure because it will represent a massive increase in the amount of data and connected nodes to the network.
Data analytics will be vital because all the data collected from these devices will lead to the development of smarter applications for industrial and consumer businesses.
But many pieces of the IoT puzzle have yet to be solved. Some of the pieces of this sprawling IoT landscape include:
- Connection protocols & standards: RF and radio connections, WiFi, and virtualized networks
- Software platforms for IoT
- Big data analytics for IoT
- IoT security software
- Network virtualization and micro segmentation technology targeting IoT
- Service provider networks built specifically for IoT
- Embedded IoT systems for devices