Multi-access edge computing (MEC) could potentially aid in the development of many new types of services, and collaboration between MEC vendors will be necessary to create a seamless user experience. The collaboration component is critical enough that the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) and OpenFog Consortium conceived an Industry Specifications Group (ISG) to formulate MEC industry standards. (Learn more about MEC standards here.) Other companies had the same epiphany that cross-industry collaboration is vital, and established a virtual MEC Ecosystem Collaborative Circle at the Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2017.
Multi-Access Edge Computing Stakeholders: Who They Are and What Services They Provide
- Mobile Operators (MNOs): Also known as wireless service providers. MEC functions on the network edge, which may be located in cell phone towers and base stations. MNO’s offer the source for the network edge that brings services closer to the end user.
- Application Developers: These companies build apps that benefit from MEC, such as virtual reality or augmented reality apps.
- Over the Top (OTT) Players: Media content providers that do not rely on multiple system operators. The partnership between OTT providers and operators will give users an enhanced user experience of the OTT content.
- Independent Software Vendors (ISV): These providers distribute software. ISVs will work closely with OTT players, mobile operators, and application developers to optimize MEC capabilities.
- Telecom Equipment Vendors: The manufacturers of network infrastructure, such as Nokia, Huawei, and Ericsson.
- IT Platform Vendors: These vendors create the platform for apps to run on. For instance, Amazon Web Services, Sales Force, Azure, etc.
- System Integrators: These companies ensure that all the components work together, such as hardware, software, and networking solutions.
- Technology Providers: These companies comprise a spectrum of specialized services in a number of enterprises, such as marketing, consulting, and management, to name a few.