The hybrid cloud merges the benefits of both the private cloud and the public cloud. It delivers the private cloud’s high-security features coupled with the fast connection and easy-to-access features of the public cloud. The official definition from the National Institute of Standards and Technology is “the cloud infrastructure is a composition of two or more distinct cloud infrastructures (private, community, or public) that remain unique entities, but are bound together by standardized or proprietary technology that enables data and application portability.”
The hybrid cloud’s popularity rose due to its benefits to enterprises. However, according to this article, the trend takes a slight dip as some companies analyze their security needs. Nevertheless, the hybrid cloud offers a company with a complete cloud solution. Here’s an overview of the hybrid cloud’s benefits.
What is the Hybrid Cloud? The Benefits
- Capitalizes on a similar low-cost approach as the public cloud.
- Integrates public cloud computing with onsite cloud hardware that delivers control of security and regulations in the hand of the company.
- Will operate behind a firewall, similar to the private cloud.
- Offers scalability to handle fluctuating computing demands. In other words, the hybrid cloud may scale up to use the public cloud or down to the private cloud.
What is the Hybrid Cloud? The Providers
- Amazon Web Services hybrid cloud includes storage, networking, security, application deployment, and management tools.
- Cisco-Google Cloud Platform is an open cloud hybrid architecture. “A key piece of this architecture is Istio (Istio.io), a new container and micro-service optimized open source networking technology. Istio allows the user to use policy-driven controls to connect, secure, discover and govern connections between services, both on-premise and in the cloud.”
- HPE offers a customizable solution depending on an enterprise’s cloud demands.
- VMWare Hybrid Cloud Extension’s objective is to bring app mobility from both on-site and public cloud resources.
- Dell EMC Hybrid Cloud focuses on helping companies with a large workload to achieve efficiency with digital -transformation.
- Red Hat offers a few hybrid cloud products, including RedHat Openshift and the Red Hat Cloud suite.
- Oracle hybrid cloud focuses on simplifying management across the cloud’s lifecycle.
- IBM Z Hybrid Cloud product notes its security features and quick deployment.
- SAP HANA platform that offers various options for deployments across both the private and public clouds.
- Citrix hybrid cloud solution focuses on a single management plane for managing apps, devices, and network.