Well it’s time for Markets Gone Wild, but you may not have the DVD, so let’s recap: The Fed has been heavily telegraphing an accelerated money-printing schedule, driving bankers, traders, and speculators into all matter of commodities, stocks, and various exotic financial instruments.
Here’s a summary:
* Silver reached a new 30-year high this morning. Incredibly bullish action. I think you should stay long silver here, a way to do that is SLV, or a mining company like Pan American Silver (PAAS), or silver futures. (Disclosure: I’m long all of the above). I’ve been bullish on silver for what seems like forever, and I remain so.
* Gold made a new high, and pulled back. With more money-printing on the way, it looks poised to break out, again.
* Our Riverbed/FFIV pairs trade worked out okay, in a strange way. F5 Networks (FFIV) has climbed 14% since we spotlighted the idea (we were short), but Riverbed (RVBD) is up 30% (we were long), so if you did the pairs long/short trade the difference has netted about 15%. Not bad for a month’s work. The philosophy of this trade worked out okay — the cloud “bubble” had pushed FFIV to a more unreasonalbe valuation, and it was time for Riverbed to catch up. (Disclosure: I am out of the trade, I think “cloud networking stocks” are getting overextended, though I still like Riverbed long term).
* New highs in stocks we like: EBIX, RVBD, PAAS
* Remember Right Now (RNOW)? Incredibly strong stock. Methinks something is up.