Here are the top stories SDxCentral wrangled this week related to SDN, NFV, 5G, IoT, containers, cloud, and more:
Dell EMC Takes on Cisco, Launches Open uCPE for SD-WAN — The Dell EMC modular platforms come pre-validated and integrated with SD-WAN software from Silver Peak, VMware, and Versa.
The P4 Language Grows Up, Joins the ONF and Linux Foundation — The P4 language was originally created with engineers and researchers from Google, Intel, Microsoft Research, Barefoot Networks, Princeton, and Stanford.
Facebook, Google, and Big Switch Demo Network Operating Systems Built on Open Hardware — Open Network Linux is the single largest open source project in OCP with contributions from 30 organizations.
Here are the week’s strays and stragglers we roped for you:
ETSI and OPNFV will co-locate their next two testing events: the ETSI NFV plugtest event and the OPNFV Fraser plugfest.
Telefónica partnered with Huawei to develop big data products for enterprises under Luca, Telefónica’s data unit.
Ericsson, Ciena Canada, Thales Canada, IBM Canada, and CGI helped to form ENCQOR, a Canadian research group working to develop a Canadian pre-commercial 5G highway.
Alibaba launched a dual-mode solid state drive (SSD) to optimize storage performance of hyperscale infrastructure.
Salesforce acquired application network platform company MuleSoft for $6.5 billion.
Facebook contributed its latest server design Big Basin v2 to the Open Compute Project (OCP) and added new machine learning capabilities across its applications.
Edgecore Networks contributed a 400G Ethernet data center switch design to the OCP.
Huawei launched its new architecture and programmable switches for intent-driven cloud campus networks.
Microsoft Cloud delivered general availability of Azure and Office 365 in France.
ZTE now provides services for 25 percent of China Mobile’s PC server procurement bidding.
Deutsche Telekom’s Open Telekom Cloud released its newest version to make database migration easier and add new enhancements to its cloud servers and bare metal servers.
Toshiba Memory America released general availability its shared accelerated storage software.
Motor racing company McLaren chose NTT Communications’ SD-WAN to connect its racing circuits.
IBM and Rambus, a technology licensing company, will collaborate on research of hybrid memory system architectures for data centers.
Cavium partnered with HPE to further the OCP’s hyperscale-inspired designs.
Cavium, Microsemi Corporation, and Marvell demonstrated a reference architecture to accelerate and scale out non-volatile memory express (NVMe) over fabrics.
Netronome launched a small, low-power SmartNIC based on the OCP v2.0 Mezzanine specification.
Mellanox released technology that simplifies and extends non-virtualized on-premises data centers to Microsoft Azure.
Middle Eastern telecom provider Etisalat selected NEC and Netcracker’s network-as-a-service to provide its customers with complete residential virtual CPE (vCPE).
Gluware launched its config modeling to accelerate automation of brownfield enterprise networks.
Inventec announced support for SONiC on its data center switches.
Pica8 demonstrated a multi-vendor 100G switch fabric using NEC’s software-defined networking (SDN) controller to facilitate open networking.
TidalScale, a software-defined server company, extended its next-generation server technology with machine learning capabilities.
Xilinx released a highly integrated multi-core heterogeneous compute platform.
Quortus, a disaggregated packet core software provider, will participate in a project to integrate 5G into autonomous vehicles.
Here are the other stories SDxCentral covered this week:
- Google Is Working on Blockchain Technology, Too
- Should Bug Bounty Programs Pay Hackers Millions to Find Bugs?
- Symantec Security Report: Cryptojacking Attacks Increased 8,500% in 2017
- ZTE Knitter Tailors Kubernetes to Meet Carrier 5G Needs
- Google Cloud Security Blitz Attacks Email Phishing, Improves Visibility
- Engineering Firm Uses Silver Peak SD-WAN to Connect 14 Sites
- FD.io Bolsters Kubernetes, NFV, and Istio Support With Latest Release
- Microsoft and OCP Friends Push Open Hardware Security Standard
- Facebook Innovates to Cope With Massive East-West Data Center Traffic
- John Deere’s 5G Aspirations Include Streaming Video and Autonomous Tractors
- Microsoft Server 2019 to Bolster Linux VMs, Kubernetes, HCI Support
- Siemens Trades in MPLS for Orange SD-WAN With $294M Contract
- OCP and Linux Foundation Bring Hardware Together with Software
- Pulse Secure Releases First vADC Update Since Brocade Deal
- Forget Facebook and Intel, Is Anyone Else Using OCP Data Center Gear?
- Microsoft Disaggregates Layers in Flash Storage With Denali Project
- ETSI MEC Turns Its Focus to Vertical Industries
- IBM Pushes Watson, Cloud Services at Think 2018
- FogHorn Integrates Edge Analytics With Google Cloud IoT Core
- Google Skaffold Automates Kubernetes Orchestration
- Oracle’s Larry Ellison Teases More Autonomous Cloud Services Coming Soon
- Verizon and Cisco ICN Trial Finds Names More Efficient Than Numbers
- CA Veracode Validates Application Security, DevOps Processes
- Hyperledger Intros Caliper to Measure Blockchain Performance
- European Consortium Delivers Superfast 5G Fronthaul Data
- Verizon: Being First With 5G Will Give Us a Big Advantage
- IBM Builds Latest Cloud Analytics Platform on Kubernetes