Here are the week’s strays and stragglers we roped for you:
Swim.ai completed a $10 million Series B funding round led by Cambridge Innovation Capital.
Education technology startup Unacademy raised $21 million in a series C funding round led by Sequoia India, SAIF Partners, Nexus Venture Partners, and more existing investors.
SK Telecom, KT, and LG Uplus (the three major South Korean mobile operators) will work together on launching 5G networks.
GE and Microsoft partnered on industrial IoT. GE will standardize its Predix technologies on Microsoft Azure and integrate them with Azure’s cloud-native tools. Both companies will co-sell industrial IoT products.
Equinix completed its integration of the 29 data centers it acquired from Verizon last year.
AT&T added Charlotte, N.C., Raleigh, N.C., and Oklahoma City to its list of cities that will get mobile 5G networks in 2018.
Google Cloud opened a cloud region in Los Angeles, invested in three consortium subsea cables, and built a private intercontinental cable.
Amazon, Arm, Canonical, GitLab, Intel, Liferay, Linaro, MariaDB, NEC, Pivotal, Royal Phillips, SAS, Toyota, and VMware joined Red Hat in committing to adopting the GPL Cooperation Commitment.
21st Century Fox extended its contract with Amazon Web Services (AWS) for its key cloud platforms, workloads, machine learning, and data analytics.
Verizon won’t activate 3G-only phones.
Walmart entered a 5-year agreement with Microsoft to deploy AI, cloud, and IoT for its network.
Amdocs launched acceptance and optimization tools on its platforms that will support 5G deployments.
Aryaka added a new point of presence in Toronto, Canada.
McAfee launched a defense system that manages its enterprise security products.
Sysdig opened an office in Raleigh,N.C., for engineering, customer support, and sales.
Cloud provider Brightcove selected Lacework for continuous security of its video platform hosted on AWS.
TM Forum released a report on 5G monetization.
Aqua Security released version 3.2 of its cloud-native security platform.
Cato Networks added an identity-aware routing engine to its SD-WAN platform.
Rubrik achieved storage competency on AWS.
Micro Focus added protection for applications deployed in HPE ProLiant for Microsoft Azure on its data recovery software Data Protector.
Splice Machine released a plugin for Apache Ranger for centralized security management.
AI company Nuance Communications moved its storage infrastructure to ClearSky Data’s hybrid cloud service.
Apcela launched the Office 365 Accelerator on its AppHub delivery platform.
Analytics provider MapD Technologies released its platform on Google Cloud Platform Marketplace.
Pica8 licensed Dubai-based distributor Distilogix to sell its Linux-based network operating system and white box software.
Alert Logic launched an intrusion detection product for container environments.
Disaster recovery company DH2i started a Technology Partnership Program.
Electronics distributor Digi-Key Electronics added Senet’s low range WAN tools to its IoT Resource Center.
DivvyCloud added support for Alibaba Cloud on its cloud security platform.
Corning launched an Optical Network Software-Defined LAN solution.
Cloud-native security company Alcide released a new version of its cloud-native security platform, with Slack integration, serverless support, and a threat intelligence feed.
CrowdStrike, an endpoint security provider, launched its security platform for AWS workloads.
Binary Tree, a software provider, and Monza Cloud, a cloud application company, partnered to help clients build applications for Microsoft Azure.
Security startup Verodin closed $21 million in its Series B funding round.
Here are the other stories SDxCentral covered this week:
- Microsoft Throws Down Cloud Revenue Challenge for AWS, Google
- Tech Heavyweights Create Open Source Project to Transfer Data
- OpenSDS Project Issues First Release for Software-Defined Storage
- The Chief Barrier to Container Adoption Is Persistent Storage, SDxCentral Report Says
- T-Mobile Goes Nationwide With NB-IoT
- LiveAction to Release Server Appliance for LiveNX Monitoring Platform
- AT&T Caters to Customers That Prefer a Full Cisco NFV Stack
- Commercial Kubernetes Services: There’s an App for That
- Ericsson Rebounds in Q2 as 5G Momentum Grows
- Nokia Nuage and Globe Telecom Bring SD-WAN to the Philippines
- Big Switch Takes the Fast Path to Hybrid Cloud Via On-Prem VPCs
- Security Vendor Claims 98 Percent of Serverless Deployments at Risk
- BlueData Throws Kubernetes at Stateful Storage Challenges
- White Box OS Startup Arrcus Takes On Cisco, Arista, and Juniper
- AWS Adds EC2 Compute Processing to Its Snowball Edge Device
- Corelight and Databricks Combine Forces for Threat Detection, Remediation, and Analytics
- Orange Plucks Basefarm Cloud Biz for $410 Million
- Insider Threat Management Startup ObserveIT Closes $33M Series B
- Training Conundrum: Open Source Moves Faster Than Curriculum
- Cloud, Container, and Serverless Developers Are In Big Demand
- Would AWS Sell White Box Switches to Enterprises?
- Oracle’s Blockchain Cloud Service Goes Public