Here are the top stories SDxCentral wrangled this week related to SDN, NFV, 5G, IoT, cloud, and more:
Ericsson’s Rima Qureshi Will Become Verizon’s Chief Strategy Officer — She joins former Ericsson CEO Hans Vestberg who also moved to Verizon.
Oracle’s Ellison Touts ‘Totally Automated, Self-Driving’ Database — “AWS can’t do any of this stuff,” Ellison said.
Arista Networks Makes its Hybrid Cloud Play, Extends EOS — Arista is extending its Extensible Operating System to AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and Oracle Cloud.
Here are the week’s strays and stragglers we roped for you:
The Linux Foundation introduced Open Source Networking Days for network developers around the world to learn about ONAP, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, and other open source initiatives. Stops on the tour include Paris, Milan, Stockholm, London, Tel Aviv, and Japan.
The National Association of State Procurement Officials (NASPO) and the National Association of State Chief Information Officers (NASCIO) released a joint plan for state IT procurement reform.
MongoDB filed a registration statement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission for a proposed initial public offering.
Manifold, a company that provides developer services, launched with $15 million in Series A funding.
Microsoft extended the capabilities of its global cloud infrastructure. Customers can now use Azure Availability zones to build applications.
Red Hat revised its Patent Promise, which originated in 2002 and was based on Red Hat’s intention not to enforce its patents against free and open source software. The new version significantly expands and extends Red Hat’s promise.
Huawei completed the core network test for China’s second-phase 5G R&D trial. The company will also assist China Telecom in building a 5G-oriented cloud radio access network (C-RAN) fronthaul network.
In other Huawei news, the company released TestCraft, which is designed for software-defined networking (SDN)/network functions virtualization (NFV) testing and provides a variety of automated test models and services.
Samsung Electronics joined the OPC Foundation, an industrial Internet of Things (IoT) organization providing data and protocol interoperability, security and reliability from its specifications and open source implementations.
HashiCorp updated its suite of open source and enterprise products for cloud infrastructure automation. The company also released its Terraform Module Registry to give users access to templates for setting up and running their cloud-based infrastructure.
ZTE Corporation completed its test of experimental wireless-network prototypes and the verification of basic wireless-network architecture and functions for China’s 5G technical network architecture testing.
GTT Communications completed its acquisition of service provider Global Capacity for $100 million in cash and 1.85 million shares of GTT common stock.
Fortanix launched a runtime encryption product using Intel Software Guard Extensions to protect private data during runtime.
Here are the other stories SDxCentral covered this week:
- Cloud Foundry Survey Finds Container Adoption Rate Remains Tepid
- Moffitt Cancer Center CTO Plots Network Overhaul Using NSX
- Report: HPE Plans to Cut 5,000 Jobs
- Tata Communications Hires U.S. Head, Boost its Americas’ Presence
- Dell EMC, Microsoft Win $1 Billion U.S. Air Force Deal
- Puppet Packs in Container Management Provider Distelli
- Ericsson Study Claims Network Slicing Will Boost Revenue
- Edgemesh Taps Spare Compute on End User Devices for CDN Caching
- Level 3 Tackles Optical Transport Data Encryption
- Cisco Starship Pushes Data Center Management to the Cloud
- Hitachi Merges IT Work Under Vantara, Boosts Container Support
- DigitalOcean Launches Scalable Spaces Object Storage
- HPE Aruba 360 Secure Fabric Stretches Protection from Edge to Cloud
- Nestil Taps Network Connections to Map Cloud, Container Traffic
- Verizon Adds Software,Defined Perimeter Security from Vidder
- Aqua Closes $25M Funding Round for Container Security
- Minio Attracts $20M as it Targets Amazon S3 Dominance of Storage Market
- SevOne Unveils Cloud-Based Data Platform
- Pivotal Greenplum Analytics Database Adds Multicloud Support
- Nokia Says Software, Virtualization Will Shift Telecom Spending
- Equinix Opens New ‘Cloud Dense’ Data Center in Silicon Valley
- Chuck Robbins to Replace John Chambers on Cisco’s Board
- China Telecom, Huawei, Demo 5G Network Slicing for Power Grids
- IBM Migration Tool Ships Data to the Cloud by Air Mail
- Open Networking Foundation Subsumes On.Lab