What It Takes to Bring SDN to the Department of Defense — With a sprawling network and processes that might predate the Internet (literally), the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) is a corner case — and yet might offer some lessons to large enterprises grappling with SDN.
Here are the week’s strays and stragglers we roped for you:
The Open Networking User Group (ONUG) launched four new initiatives: Open SD-WAN Exchange (OSE); Open Interoperable Control Plane (OICP); Open Traffic Management Format (OTMF); and Open Network State Format (ONSF).
John McAfee got a job.
Actility is combining its Low Power Wide Area Networks (LPWAN) technology with myDevices’ drag and drop IoT project-builder technology.
Megaport will deploy its SDN interconnection fabric in EdgeConnex’s Portland Edge Data Center, enabling enterprise customers to gain private, direct connections to Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS).
Former Cisco CTO Charles Giancarlo joined the board of security startup Attivio Networks. Formerly affiliated with Silver Lake Partners, Giancarlo also sits on the boards of Arista and Accenture, among others.
Symantec plans to lay off 1,200, or roughly 10 percent of its staff. It’s part of a plan — announced April 28, along with CEO Michael A. Brown’s pending departure — to cut costs by $400 million during the next two years. The layoffs were announced during the company’s fourth-quarter earnings call.
Here are the other stories SDxCentral covered this week:
- What’s the Difference Between Open-O & OSM?
- From PSKs to Blockchain: Ideas for Solving the IoT Security Dilemma
- Corsa Technology Uses SDN to Traffic-Slice the WAN
- Infoblox Stock Soars on Rumors of Going Private
- Weaveworks Raises $15M for Network Containers
- Why Intuit Loves the Public Cloud
- What It Takes to Bring SDN to the Department of Defense
- Silver Peak Counts 300 SD-WAN Customers
- HPE’s IoT Platform Supports oneM2M, LoRa, SigFox
- Nokia + Alcatel-Lucent Means Q1 Revenue Decline
- Rancher Labs Wrangles a $20M Series B
- A Couple of Squares Help Advance Docker Security
- IIX Reinvents Itself as Console
- SigFox vs. LTE-M: IoT’s Competing Connectivity Options
- CoreOS Raises $28M With Backing From Google & Intel
- NEC/NetCracker’s NFV Platform Dives Into DevOps