Happy Friday to everyone! Miss the news? Don’t worry, the SDxCentral weekly news roundup is here to deliver the news bits surrounding software-defined networking (SDN), network functions virtualization (NFV), and more. Get ready, ‘cuz it’s coming atcha:
Alcatel-Lucent and China Mobile performed the first field trial of a virtualized radio access network-based architecture founded on NFV. Conducted at Tisinghua University in Beijing, the test is one of the stepping stones to introducing 5G networks.
Despite having its own public cloud, Rackspace will now also support Microsoft Azure. While it might seem like a conflict of interest, Rackspace has long been involved with Microsoft, dating back to the 90s when it backed Windows NT 4.0.
The Mesosphere SDK and developer program has been unveiled, offering services and tools to help create distributed services and applications on top of the company’s Data Center Operating System (DCOS), with support for Java, Scala, Python, Go, and C++.
Nokia released Nokia Eden-NET, a combination of Eden Rock Self Organizing Networks (SON) functionality and the company’s own iSON Manager. The new product, coming from the acquisition of Eden Rock, should enhance performance and reliability of automation for mobile networks, and empower operators to modify and design new SON modules to alleviate specific problem areas.
In a collaborated offering, 3scale API management service will now be available through the Pivotal Web Services (PWS) platform. Users can now provision 3scale accounts directly from the PWS marketplace.
Here’s what else SDxCentral covered lately:
- Ericsson Says Its $1B Diet Is Still on Track
- Google Unleashes Containers on OpenStack
- Intel Q2 Reflects a Shift to the Cloud
- NFV Study Quantifies Benefits of a Virtual EPC
- ‘Objection: Puffery!’ Judge Dismisses Part of the Cisco-Arista Lawsuit
- CloudRouter Moves Its Open Source vRouter Into Beta
- Google & Rackspace Back CrowdStrike in $100M Round
- SK Telecom Chooses Accedian for Performance Monitoring
- Plexxi ‘Switch 2’ Adds a Layer-1 Wormhole
- HP Adds NEC As an OpenNFV Partner
- Nuage Networks Builds a Sandbox for China Mobile
- A Primer on SDxI Form Factors and Delivery Models