5G Trials, IoT Demos Will Dominate at 2017 Mobile World Congress — If you are attending the 2017 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, be prepared to hear a lot of buzz about 5G use cases and IoT partnerships.
Arris Buys Brocade’s Ruckus Wireless and ICX Switch Business for $800M — Broadcom might have more IP pieces to divest, however.
The Logical Happens: Open-O Merges with ECOMP — The new name for the combined group is the Open Network Automation Platform (ONAP).
Here are the week’s strays and stragglers we roped for you:
ETSI created the Industry Specification Group Experiential Network Intelligence (ISG ENI) to define a cognitive network management architecture based on the “observe-orient-decide-act” control model.
NTT Docomo, picked Cisco’s Network Services Orchestrator to automate its network device provisioning. Cisco also announced the acquisition of the CCN Platform from PARC, a new open source project called Community ICN, and its hybrid ICN IP system.
NEC Corporation and Netcracker Technology unveiled their Ecosystem 2.0 to solve operational and monetization issues for service providers.
Cumulus Networks announced general availability of Ethernet virtual private network capabilities.
The Xen Project, a project hosted at The Linux Foundation, today announced the release of MirageOS v3.0.
IBM announced a services agreement with Chubb, a property and casualty insurance company, to consolidate and integrate the company’s IT infrastructure.
The Global mobile Suppliers Association and the GSMA agreed to work together to help with the development of 5G mobile broadband networks.
Nokia announced updates to its software portfolio to help customers automate operations, make sense of large amounts of data, and monetize services.
Ciena introduced Waveserver Ai to increase capacity and power efficiencies to data center interconnect applications.
SolarWinds unveiled its PerfStack dashboard to improve troubleshooting of performance issues across the IT environments, from infrastructure to applications.
Adara has partnered with Carnival Corporation to help with the development of a guest experience platform.
Samsung Electronics America and Verizon have deployed 5G gear in five U.S. cities in preparation for friendly customer trials.
Italtel unveiled its virtual Transcoding Unit (vTU) application, which brings several functionalities to the edge of networks, improves upload performance, reduces latency, and increases the battery life of connected devices.
Huawei announced that it has deployed its automatically switched optical network solution on SK Telecom’s 200G network.
Kontron partnered with Canonical to launch an OpenStack Platform.
Mobile core network startup Core Network Dynamics is bringing shared source code licensing models to telcos. It has signed up five OpenEPC source code licensees and is currently in negotiations with another four potential OEM partners.
ADVA Optical Networking added six new members to its Ensemble Harmony Ecosystem including systems integrators and virtual network function (VNF) providers.
Procera Networks announced a joint system with Brocade to give mobile operators better visibility and access to deeper network, subscriber, and traffic intelligence.
FusionLayer announced its 2.4 series of Infinity that’s designed for management of physical and tenant networks. It also has native support for VMware NSX.
Radisys and China Unicom are partnering to maximize 5G mobile services across China Unicom’s network.
Teoco has joined Ciena’s Blue Orbit SDN and NFV group.
Procera Networks reached its highest throughput for NFV performance for its virtualized PacketLogic network intelligence technology.
Genband is collaborating with multiple NFV vendors including Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) and Wind River on differentiated NFV systems for service providers.
Radisys announced the availability of its CellEngine 5G radio access network (RAN) Version 1.0 software for service providers. It also announced its FlowEngine TDE-2000 to reduce network complexity and accelerate new SDN, NFV, 5G and IoT service introductions.
Here are the other stories SDxCentral covered this week:
- Walmart Boasts 213,000 Cores on OpenStack
- Ruckus Wireless Founder Selina Lo to Retire in May
- HPE Misses Q1 Revenue, Enterprise Group Continues to Decline
- CORD Partners with xRAN to Bring SDN to the RAN
- Qualcomm and LG Test 5G and C-V2X For Connected Cars
- HPE Bulks Up NFV Portfolio in Conjunction With Red Hat
- 5G Moves from Concept to Reality at MWC
- OpenStack Says Private Clouds Save Big $$$ Versus Public Clouds
- Diamanti Raises $18M to Push Container Appliances
- AT&T, Nokia Deliver DirecTV Now in 5G Trial in New Jersey
- Riverbed Launches Service Provider Unit and New Product Line
- NFV and MEC Raise Their Lovely Heads at Mobile World Congress
- Telco Data Centers Get a New look at MWC
- Verizon to Offer 5G to Friendly Users in 11 Markets by Mid-Year
- Affirmed Networks Combines Virtualization With IoT
- Verizon Enterprise Taps Ericsson for Overall NFV Support
- Intel Courts Innovators with 5G Group and Solutions Lab
- Radisys Contributes Its LTE RAN Software to M-CORD
- Cisco Unveils New Hardware for Virtual Functions at the Branch