4 Reasons a Telco Cloud Is Hard to Build – Telcos have a few problems with VNFs that are unique to their realm.
Verizon Likes Pod Architecture for Data Centers – Pods solve five needs for the carrier.
AT&T’s Saxena Details OpenStack Implementation in Network – The carrier’s integrated cloud will eventually spread to 1,000 zones.
Here are the week’s strays and stragglers we roped for you:
Bill Fathers, head of VMware‘s public cloud efforts, is leaving the company, Fortune reported. VMware is narrowing vCloud Air’s charter as the public cloud turns into a game of giants such as Amazon Web Services. Fathers will be replaced by “co-general managers” Allwyn Sequeira and Laura Ortman.
NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory built a private cloud based on the Red Hat OpenStack Platform. And the University of Cambridge selected Red Hat to support its OpenStack-based high performance computing (HPC) initiatives.
Nuage Networks (now part of Nokia) announced that its Virtualized Services Platform (VSP) platform is now certified for Accelerite CloudPlatform. Accelerite recently acquired CloudPlatform from Citrix.
Amid a broader announcement about networking, Dell noted that OS10, its latest networking operating system, has been optimized to work with F5 application delivery controllers (ADCs) and Silver Peak software-defined wide-area networks (SD-WAN). OS10 also integrates the Ansible tool from Red Hat, and parts of the OS are being contributed to the Microsoft Software for Open Networking in the Cloud (SONiC) effort, Dell announced.
Here are the other stories SDxCentral covered this week:
- VMware NSX & Cisco ACI Aren’t Mutually Exclusive
- HPE Won’t Ignore Open Source NFV MANO
- Juniper Reports Q1 on the Lower End of Guidance
- Amazon Web Services Cracks $10B Run Rate
- Think SDN & OpenStack Can’t Scale Massively? Wanna Bet?
- Innovium Settles Broadcom Suit & Raises $15M
- Quantifying Benefits of Network Virtualization in the Data Center
- Swisscom’s Elastic Cloud Uses PLUMgrid OpenStack SDN
- CoreOS’s Stackanetes Puts OpenStack in Containers
- Riverbed Debuts an SD-WAN Product
- AT&T Uses vEPC to Fuel European IoT Business
- TIA’s NFV Security Group Reflects Carriers’ Unease With Open Source
- AT&T Integrated Cloud to Include 105 Data Centers by Year’s End