… Availability of OpenDaylight Helium was put off by a couple of days to accommodate some last-minute bug fixes. It’s fully available now. (For our coverage of the Helium release, see here and here. We’ve also got a Helium webinar coming on Nov. 12.)
… David Meyer’s term as chair of the OpenDaylight Project‘s Technical Steering Committee is expiring, and he’s not running for re-election. The Brocade engineer was the founding TSC chair two years ago and has been instrumental in getting OpenDaylight through to its Helium code release, which was announced this week.
… A security vulnerability in the Xen hypervisor led to server reboots by cloud providers, including Amazon, IBM, and Rackspace. The latter caught flak for not alerting users earlier, but CEO Taylor Rhodes did send an apology to Rackspace customers, noting it had “dropped a few balls” during the process.
… Siris Capital has finished its acquisition of Juniper Networks’ Junos Pulse business and will place it under the name Pulse Secure. As we mentioned back in July, Siris Capital purchased Pulse for $250 million.
… Also announced by Extreme Networks: the appointment of Chief Revenue Officer Jeff White. With more than 20 years experience in the networking industry, White’s resume includes sales positions at Cisco, Ameritech, and Anixter.
… Router startup Compass-EOS this week unveiled a product it calls the SDN Forwarding Plane, a network element that lets network operators adopt SDN and NFV methods gradually and offers Compass-EOS AnyFLOW. Compass-EOS separately announced JT Lab has begun deployment of Compass-EOS r10004 next-generation routers.
… Alcatel-Lucent closed the sale of its enterprise division — which includes switching and IP telephony — to Chinese firm Huaxin, more formally known as China Huaxin Post & Telecommunication Economy Development Center. The deal was announced in February. Alcatel-Lucent retains a 15 percent stake in the division and does want to see it grow: “In plain French, we are out to double the size of this business,” said Michel Emelianoff, president of Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise, on a webcast press conference Wednesday.
Here’s what else SDxCentral covered this week:
- Guido Appenzeller, Former Big Switch CEO, vMotions over to VMware
- Sonus Integrates With Juniper Contrail
- Cisco Insists Intercloud Is Not Just a ‘Cisco’ Thing
- OpenDaylight Sets the Helium Roster: Policy In, OpFlex Out
- Equinix Cloud Exchange Uses Cisco ACI (But You Don’t Have To)
- How You’ll Get Your OpenDaylight: Drink from the Karaf
- With OPNFV, NFV Aims for an Open Source Speed Boost
- NFV Insider’s Perspective, Part 7: Introducing OPNFV, a Step Toward NFV Adoption
- Big Switch Networks’ Reboot Reaches the Shipping Phase
- Featured Interview with Shehzad Merchant, Gigamon: Network Visibility is Key for Next-Gen Environments
- Open Switching Startup Pica8 Lands a $12.5M Series B
- Docker Startup StackEngine Targets Management and Automation