Use Case Challenge
In order to support emerging applications in the data center, service providers and enterprises have to develop and fine-tune their cloud infrastructures. For cloud operators to make sure applications run smoothly, they depend on having an efficient and well-performing network. However, network performance optimization remains a major hurdle that operators must overcome before they can achieve optimal performance.
Particular problem areas in networking for data centers include bandwidth availability, capacity planning, grasp of resource readiness, as well as the understanding of which applications hog the network. Beyond these challenges, operators must also consider how to automatically resolve network congestion or even handle DDoS attacks to keep overall network bandwidth available and ready for use.
Use Case Solution
With Brocade’s Flow Optimizer, operators can take steps toward finding a solution for visibility and congestion obstacles in the data center. Using a controller-based software-defined networking (SDN) approach, Brocade’s Flow Optimizer application, when used in conjunction with the Brocade Controller and MLX series routers, creates a solution that enables real-time analytics capture through sFlow, allowing for operators to understand what’s happening in their networks and to account for it with timely action, leading to heightened network performance.
With the help of SDN, customers enjoy flexibility and vendor-independent control throughout the entire network from one central location. This leads to simplified network design and operation, as well as enables customers to reap the advantages of SDN, like lower expenditures, easier management, and better service velocity. Brocade capitalizes on these SDN benefits through its Flow Optimizer application, and gives customers the ability to rein in out of control data center networks.
The Brocade solution consists of the following:
- Brocade Network Devices: MLX series routers and ICX campus LAN switches collect sFlow information and provide them to the Flow Optimizer application for analysis;
- Brocade Flow Optimizer: The application that performs an analysis of the sFlows as dictated by set policies, and then decides on the proper action: Rate Limit, Discard, Remark, or Redirect based on the results of the analysis
- Brocade Vyatta Controller: An OpenDaylight-based commercial carrier-class controller that takes action on behalf of the Brocade Flow Optimizer, using the OpenFlow protocol to communicate with network devices like the MLX
- Visibility and uncovering of network pain points before a problem arises, resulting in more efficient network utilization
- Flow Optimizer-powered traffic engineering unblocks network congestion and limits service failures or interruptions
- Layer 2 through Layer 4 Denial of Service Attacks can be prevented as customer flows are controlled through a designated set of policies, enabling threats to be identified and eliminated
- Open SDN model allows for customer extensibility
To learn more, check out the full use case sheet and watch the video, or check out Brocade’s website. Learn about other SDN and NFV use cases on the new use cases section of our site, where we define and categorize the most common SDN and NFV use cases to help you get the most out of the technologies.