As clouds grow larger and extend to multiple regions, customers are increasingly faced with the challenge of scaling their deployments and looking for production-grade infrastructure that supports the demands of their business. A new white paper from Citrix and Mirantis helps organizations tackle these problems by offering a best-practice checklist for building large-scale, high-availability clouds using OpenStack and application delivery controllers (ADCs).
The joint paper outlines the companies’ reference architecture for building scalable, redundant OpenStack clouds with NetScaler ADC and Mirantis’ Pure Play OpenStack. The paper offers best practices for multizone and multiregion cloud integration, focusing on two primary methodologies:
- Resource segregation (“pooling”): Using OpenStack constructs such as availability zones and host aggregates to group infrastructure into fault domains and high-availability domains. This simplifies and optimizes application deployment, maintenance, issue-handling, and disaster recovery.
- Application delivery controller (ADC): How to use an ADC like Citrix NetScaler to provide highly available, high-performance application delivery and load balancing services in distributed, multitenant, fault-tolerant cloud architectures.
The paper explains how NetScaler can deploy, chain, and manage virtual functions to simplify cloud operations and administration while improving performance and resilience. For example, NetScaler’s OpenStack load balancing as a service (LBaaS) integration was designed as a production grade-solution for organizations running business-critical applications at scale. The LBaaS integration addresses the operational concerns around running Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) while still providing flexibility and control over performance, availability, and scale.
The paper also covers best practices for:
- Minimizing downtime and preventing data loss
- Supporting a mix of cloud-aware/stateless and state-dependent applications
- Hosting multiple tenants (OpenStack projects) on the same shared infrastructure
- Complying with performance SLAs
Read the white paper to learn more about how to build large-scale, high-availability clouds that ensure application availability and maintain high performance.