Making the change from closed and silo-ed network architectures to more open, on-demand, software-driven networks just got easier. Ciena recently enhanced its Blue Planet network orchestration software by evolving the platform to a new, micro-services architecture designed to help operators expand and accelerate new service delivery across virtual and physical domains.
In this overview, Ciena highlights how the new Blue Planet software platform is purpose-built for network operators to automate services all the way from creation through orchestration and delivery. The enhancements are designed to provide a previously unachievable level of service programmability, helping operators reduce operational costs, eliminate network complexity, and drive greater competitive advantage – all while reducing vendor lock-in. The overview shows how Blue Planet’s extensible, modular architecture supports three main use cases:
- Multi-domain service orchestration
- Carrier-grade NFV orchestration
- SDN management and control
Unlike monolithic applications that are designed for specific technology domains, Blue Planet’s new architecture leverages model-driven templates and container-based micro-services to bring together SDN, NFV, and service orchestration into a single, unified, open platform.
The approach abstracts and simplifies network complexity to help providers automate service delivery and build virtualized, on-demand networks for end-to-end service delivery across domains. The software enhancements now provide:
- Rapid customization and agile development: Disaggregated software stack allows customers to add their own services.
- Self-service programmability: TOSCA-based service templates provide DevOps-style, self-service programmability of physical, virtual, or cross-domain resources.
- Simplified integration with legacy systems: Business process model and notation (BPMN) makes it easier to create, integrate, and operate new services.
- Freedom of choice: Platform also supports non-Ciena domains so customers can craft best-of-breed, multivendor options.
Ciena says Blue Planet’s open, standards-based architecture introduces a “new age” for virtualized, cloud-connected, and connectivity services. Read the overview to learn more.